Fourteen of Brazil’s most influential travel bloggers have today gathered at the famous Iguaçu Falls to spend the next five days promoting the region and at the same time, demonstrating how social media can be used for tourism promotion.
Blogturfoz, runs till March 18th, and has been organised by the web portal Trilhas e Aventuras together with local inbound agency Loumar Tourismo. While the main goal is to promote the tourist attractions in the region, the ‘event’ will also include discussions on the role played by social media on the decision process of choosing a destination and purchasing a package tour by Internet users.
In Brazil, as elsewhere, the number of people researching destinations online before making the decision on where to go is increasing and travel bloggers are being recognised as key players in addressing the needs of these travellers, not only by bringing extensive information on a particular destination or itinerary but also allowing collaboration among fellow travellers.
During February, in the build-up to this week, every Thursday evening the bloggers have been gathering online for a video conference with consumers to talk about the region (what they already know) and their forthcoming trip. Now they are all at the Iguaçu Falls, the bloggers will live a genuine reality show experience. Everything will be broadcasted live, with posts on Twitter (#blogturfoz), Facebook and video streaming as well. The goal is to share as much as possible the Iguaçu Region with the network of each participant.
Each travel blogger invited for this event has his/her own specialty. Many of them are avid writers, others are more into photography, and there are videographers among them too. They are…
- Alexandra Aranovich – www.cafeviagem.com
- Anna Martinelli – www.finestrino.com.br
- Beatriz Mignolo – www.viajenodetalhe.com.br
- Cidilan da Apresentação – www.sepluganomundo.sairdobrasil.com
- Clarissa Comim – www.viagemeviagens.com
- Daniella Mendes – www.dicaseturismo.com.br
- Gleiber Oliveira – www.andarilhosdomundo.com
- Jonathan Padua – www.euvoudemochila.com.br
- Luiz Jr – www.boaviagem.org
- Mauricio Oliveira – www.trilhaseaventuras.com.br
- Monique Ribeiro – www.diarioradical.blog.br
- Roberta Martins – www.territorios.com.br
- Vivian Dornelles – www.blogdicasdeviagem.com
- Marcos Coqs – www.Viajao.com
This is not the first such event. The first BlogTurFox was held last year and deemed to be a success for not only igniting interest online, but also off-line. It was featured in several popular media outlets in Paraná (Brazilian State where Iguaçu Falls is located) and was mentioned in newspapers and magazines. The #BlogTurFoz hashtag was seen on two occasions as a Top Trending Topics in Brazil among the most discussed topics on Twitter. The 2011 BlogTurFoz event generated a huge amount of coverage afterwards, with over 160 articles written to date by participants.